Sunday, February 23, 2014

Snapshot #1

1. Artists create original art.
-think creatively
-develop original ideas

Did you use a source of inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original? 

-Answering both questions I did find a source of inspiration for this appropriation project. I saw a Barbie dollar bill, and thought maybe I should incorporate the usage of barbi in my pepsi can, to make a new, original product called 'barbsi' a meld of both Barbie and pepsi into my appropriation idea. I then colored the can like a Pepsi bottle but then used girly colors to make if more like 'barbsi'. 




2. Artists develop art making skills
-learn techniques and processes
-explore media

Did you gain skill with familiar materials? 
I think I have gained a considerable amount of skill when using paint. Considering I had to make a logo for the 'barbsi' idea, it wasn't easy painting in the letters with a brush, so I made up my own technique of dabbing paint onto the letter and defining the letter with a regular mechanical pencil, which allowed me to have much more precision on the detail of the letters and it looked much more neat than it would have if I had used only brushes to paint the logo.





4. Artists take risks 
-try new things/experiment 

Did you try something you weren't sure of at the beginning of this project?

Yes, at first I wasn't sure how to incorporate the idea of 'barbsi' but after some thought I figured out a way to make it seem feminine but also alike the pepsi soda cans themselves. I would say I took a huge risk in this project because I  started it not knowing the ability and skill I was able to have in order to make my work as detailed and neat as possible. Throughout the project I improvised by using a mechanical pencil rather than a paint brush to make the paint on the logo of 'barbsi' as neat and detailed as I liked. And I'm very satisfied with it!




No comments:

Post a Comment